I think cell phones should be banned in the classroom. I may be old fashioned but the classroom is for learning and instruction, not texting and updating your myspace. Students today have technology at their fingertips and it is everywhere. The classroom should be a place that utilizes technology but cell phones should not be included.
With my experience working as a campus monitor I have seen the bad side of cell phones that included students setting up drug deals or fights while sitting in class. Not only do cell phones distract students from learning, they are a potential safety concern.
The quote "Bring your cell phones to the first day of class" is surprising to me. I don't think one teacher I know would say this or agree that having cell phones in their classroom is a good thing. Students can call, text or email their friends in their own time at home and out of school, but as long as they are in my class cell phones will not be used or tollerated. Students will always have them but I will structure my class to limit time they can use them, if they do I will use it as a teachable moment.
Reference
Copyright © 2007, ISTE (International Society for Technology in Education)
Thursday, August 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment