Do I consider myself a digital native or immigrant? I consider myself a hybrid digital native. I have grown up with technology and have used and seen all the latest advances in the world of electronics. The reason I believe I am a hybrid is because even though I understand and know about most of the technology out there, I am still not able to afford or use most of these devices.
I am not that old and I still don’t understand technology like I should but for students who were born after I was have a further understanding about technology. Author Marc Presnky describes this learning gap between students of today and people who grew up without technology in his article Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants. “Today’s average college grads have spent less than 5,000 hours of their lives reading, but over 10,000 hours playing video games (not to mention 20,000 hours watching TV). Computer games, email, the Internet, cell phones and instant messaging are integral parts of their lives” (Prensky, 2001). I am one of those college students who isn’t fond of reading and have regularly found information online instead of from textbooks.
In classrooms in today’s classroom students are so far ahead of the game most become bored or unresponsive to traditional teaching strategies. Such teaching strategies like lecturing is not a preferred learning method of today’s students. Information can be found anywhere students know where to find this information. “Digital Natives are used to receiving information really fast” (Prensky, 2001). Digital natives can find information instantly so teachers need to adapt their teaching to keep up with their students.
Finally, technology will continue to evolve. There are new advances everyday and most of these advances are being targeted at youth. Students today are far more knowledgeable about technology then students of the past. “They have been networked most or all of their lives. They have little patience for lectures, step-by-step logic, and “tell-test” instruction” (Prensky, 2001). Teachers must become knowledgeable about the latest technology to continue and educate students to their fullest potential.
Bibliography
Prensky, M. (2001). Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants. In M. Prensky, On The Horizon (pp. 1-6). MCB University Press,.
Thursday, July 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment